Blink Security Cameras Review and Prices
Founded in 2014 by Immedia Semiconductor in Massachusetts, Blink is a consumer electronics company that manufactures home security cameras. It stands out in the crowded security camera market for its ability to produce small, inexpensive, battery-powered cameras with most of the features of much larger, less compact, and more power-hungry cameras. Much of this has to do with its background as a chip manufacturer, which gave it the expertise to develop devices that can do more on less power.
Best Blink Security Cameras Review
One Blink camera made our Best Security Cameras of 2021 rating: the Blink Outdoor Camera.
A wireless, weather-resistant camera that can be used both indoors and out, the Blink Outdoor Camera is easy to install yourself and costs $99 for a camera system (which includes a required Blink Sync Module 2 that must be plugged in indoors) and $89 for any additional cameras. It’s powered by two included AA lithium-ion batteries and works over W-iFi, sending alerts and recording video clips from 5 seconds to 60 seconds long when triggered by motion. It features 1080p Full HD video quality with a 110-degree field of view, two-way audio, and night vision. You can view a live stream through the free Blink Home Monitoring app, and watch recorded video either with a cloud storage subscription (starting at $3 a month or $30 a year), or by storing video locally on the sync module using a USB flash drive (sold separately).
Blink’s cameras are good value for money, especially considering you don’t need to pay for cloud storage to view recorded footage if you use a USB flash drive. The Blink Outdoor Camera costs $99 when bought with a Blink Sync Module 2 (required for operation), and every additional camera costs $89. The Indoor version is $79. You can buy cameras bundled for more savings, and purchase them for a discount when paired with Amazon Echo devices such as the Echo Show, which lets you see a live view of the camera feed on its screen.
The Blink Outdoor and Indoor cameras can store their footage locally on the Sync Module with the purchase of a USB flash drive, up to 256 GB. Alternatively, you can pay for cloud storage with a Basic or Plus plan. The Basic plan starts at $3 per month for one device. The Plus plan is $10 a month for an unlimited number of Blink cameras and has additional benefits such as extended warranties and discounts. All Blink cameras come with a free 30-day trial of Blink Plus.
Are Blink Home Security Cameras Right for Me? Blink Outdoor Camera Reviewers praise the Blink Outdoor Camera as being a versatile camera, with up to two years of battery life and the option to use indoors or outdoors. It can be mounted on a wall or ceiling or placed on a flat surface and gives you a 110-degree field of view. It will record a clip of 5 to 60 seconds when it detects motion, with a 10 second retrigger time before it will record again. An IP65 weather rating means it can withstand rain and water jets from any angle and operate in temperatures ranging from -4° to 113° F. Reviewers also note the camera's customizable Privacy Zones and Activity Zones lets you receive alerts only for areas you want to cover, which reduces notifications and protects privacy. However, reviewers say the video quality isn’t as good as cameras offered by Nest or Arlo because there's no HDR imaging or other advanced features that improve video clarity. There’s also no artificial intelligence to distinguish between people, animals, and vehicles when the camera detects motion, meaning you have to check every alert you receive to effectively use this as a security camera.
- Those on a budget. This is the least expensive outdoor camera in our ratings, and if you use the local storage option, it doesn’t require any ongoing fees for viewing your recordings.
- Outdoor Security. With an IP65 weather resistance rating, you can safely place this camera outside in any condition.
- Temperature Monitoring. This is the only camera in our ratings that has a built-in temperature sensor.
- DIY Installation and Flexibility. With no wiring or professional installation required, you can install this compact camera in minutes and place it anywhere your Wi-Fi signal reaches.
- Privacy. You can set the camera system to turn on and off on a schedule, so it doesn’t record when you are at home. Plus, you can set privacy zones, so the camera never records in certain areas.
- High-quality video. The camera doesn’t have advanced imaging features such as HDR or color night vision to improve clarity.
- Covering large areas. It has the narrowest field of view of any camera in our ratings.
- Continuous recording. There’s no option to record 24/7. You can manually activate a recording or set it to record when triggered by motion.
- Advanced security features. There are no options for person detection, zoom and track, or 24/7 recording.